Sunday 22 September 2013

Week 38 Update: Housework .... Hm.

Housework. As I mentioned at the start of the week, housework isn't my favourite thing (is it anyone's?). Usually, I take to housework with the sole intention of getting it finished. As I work, my mind is on the next job I have to complete, or that well deserved down-time I hope to fit in. This week, I tried a different approach - simply doing the housework to do the housework. No other agenda, not focusing on the outcome or the next thing, just doing the housework and being present.

Surprise, surprise, it was HARD!

I think a huge part of this difficulty has to do with my mindset about housework. Because I perceive it as a hurdle to doing the fun/relaxing/enjoyable things I'd rather be doing, it becomes a chore rather than just what I'm doing.

In those moments this week when I 'succeeded' in 'doing the housework to do the housework', I felt a sense of things slowing down, of that 'urgency' that so often permeates my actions falling away. It was nice. Really nice.

Just because something's hard doesn't mean it's not worth doing. So I'll keep trying. 'Doing the housework to do the housework'. Because let's face it - there's no shortage of housework!

No comments:

Post a Comment