Sunday 15 September 2013

Week 37 Update: Balance for Balance.

My aim over the past week was to spend some time each day doing a yoga balance. Balances hold a special place in my heart - I really cannot speak highly enough of them! This week I practiced Warrior III, Ardha Chandrasana (Half Moon Pose), Vrksasana (Tree Pose) and Standing Pidgeon Pose. I loved it. I even got the chance, while away on holiday, to do my balances on the beach. Ahhhh!

As I set out to balance every day, my intention was to notice and settle into the way the chatter in the mind tends to quieten when we're focused on balance - it's hard to think about that deadline at work when you're trying not to topple over. While this was a worthy goal in and of itself, I was pleasantly surprised to find that this focus on physical balance overflowed into other areas as well. Being away on holiday for a few days last week, I found myself balancing things in other ways - Facebook got less of my attention, my family got more; I found the time to just sit and listen to the ocean, to read, to chat with others; I balanced my anxiety about flying and travelling with my young son with an 'It'll be right' attitude - all in all, I found balance.

I like this idea of balance beyond a physical practice. It really comes down to recognising that we live in a fast-paced, modern society. Sometimes we go fast, but we can balance it with times of slow. Sometimes our focus is here, other times we place it there. Sometimes we're happy and sometimes we're sad. Yet no matter what, the moment we're in can act as an anchor and we can seek the balance we crave every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment