Friday 28 June 2013

Week 26 Update: Where I am.

At the midway point in my year-long mindfulness quest, I've taken the opportunity to reflect, take stock, ponder. I wanted to take the time to consider where I've been, what I've learned, where I'm still growing.

Two things I know for sure: One - I'm much better at being mindful than I was before and, two - I'm not perfect.

Let me be completely honest: I still get frustrated, I still lose my temper, I still find myself rushing (to what, where, who is anyone's guess), I still notice myself multi-tasking (sometimes to the extreme), I still have anxieties and concerns ... In short, I'm still human.

In the past six months I may not have become the perfect picture of mindfulness and living in the moment, but I have changed. And you know what? Being perfect was never my goal. When I set out to spend a year of living in the now, I didn't do it with the intention of quitting at week 53 because I 'got it'. No! I saw it as a springboard into a lifetime of conscious living.

Twenty-six weeks in to my challenge, I'm better at catching myself when I'm being less than mindful. Sometimes I catch myself and drop the multi-tasking/anxiety/rushing, and other times I consciously plow ahead in my mindfully impeded state. But I make a choice, and that's something.

I still have room to grow, I still have so much to learn. The nice thing about all this is that I'm enjoying the journey. Given that this quest has no destination, no end point, the journey is it.

Still, I do have goals. Over the next 26 weeks I hope to tackle that 'go fast' feeling that still permeates my actions ...

So, bring on the second half of '52 Weeks of Now'!

No comments:

Post a Comment