Sunday 31 March 2013

Week 14: Simply simplify.

It's hard to be mindful and present when there's excess 'stuff'' to distract you. In my life, the place where there's the most 'stuff' is my email inbox and the little pile of filing/bills/things to attend to that sits on my desk - right next to the computer, where it can distract me no end.

This week, I want to simplify. I want to get rid of the rubbish in my inbox and stop it from coming back. Over the years, I have somehow signed up or been signed up to countless mailing lists. From super-bumper-too-good-to-miss-unbelievable sales emails to newsletters and updates on a whole world of things, it's stuff I simply don't need. I never open it anyway! It just gets 'ticked' and deleted ... but that takes up precious time and seems to sap my mindfulness.

As for that little pile next to my computer. I guess I should simplify that too.

These are the kinds of things that bring on that urge to 'flit' from one task to the next that I talked about all the way back in week 1. I feel that urge coming back ... so it's time to nip it in the bud.

A lot of time can be spent, and wasted, on this excess 'stuff' that has little value. As Henry David Thoreau said: "Our life is frittered away by detail ... simplify, simplify."

No comments:

Post a Comment